Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Packing Up Your Life

Right, so I've decided not to mention the visa again until I actually have it. I'm not a whiny person by nature (and I greatly dislike people who are), so this is the last you'll hear of it until I actually am ready to leave to Dundee.


In the meantime, I'm going to whine (shut up) about my lack of luggage allowance.


If my family's visa comes at the same time as mine, then I don't think this will be an issue. I'll just use up their luggage space - they'll only stick around for a week, it's not like they'll need much. My brother is actually notorious among our relatives for his extremely light packing.


But if I have to pack for just 30 kilos (or God forbid: less), I don't know what I'm going to do.


For one thing, my clothes will not be able to fit that criteria. My shoes take up an entire suitcase by themselves, and I personally don't think I have that many. Although I bought these gorgeous suede boots yesterday from New Look (219 Dhs! But so worth it). I literally couldn't resist. Those boots spoke to me. I took my brother with me ("Never again," he moaned later when I drove home) and had a bit of a dilemma deciding between the black and grey, but settled on black finally. They're heeled and come up to my knees, and I absolutely love them. My Mum gasped in awe when I pulled them out of the bag to show her, but gasped in horror when she saw the price tag. 


Parents. *shakes head* I justified by saying it's cold in Scotland, I should spend on boots. Which is true.


I randomly strutted around my room at like 3 in the morning in those boots. Which is a very good indication that my love for them will probably never die.


But I'm drifting off topic.


I have a massive stuffed toy that I sleep with. His name is Leonard. I'm not entirely sure what he is - some sort of giant ladybug, monkey mix. He's brown, with the most adorable face, squishy, and I love him. I take him with me everywhere, including different countries. I had to carry him as hand luggage once, and the stares I got at the airport were embarrassing, but did I care? Well, yes, I did, but I'll never see those people again, whatever. The problem that arises now is that I don't think he'll fit in the suitcase. I really hope I can take him. He's my Leonard. I would rather not leave him behind.


Leonard

Leonard: Mug Shot
Taking Leonard will remind me of home. Oh lord, imagine if they decide at security to open up my suitcase, find Leonard, and then discover that it is impossible to stuff him back in. Because sure as Hell, if I'm taking him with me, I'll need to sit on the suitcase first.


There's loads of guides on what to bring with you to uni on the main Dundee website, plus on the individual residence pages. I've got most of the stuff - but again, luggage space. No way am I going to be able to take a duvet with me. Absolutely no chance of that fitting in the suitcase. I suppose sheets and stuff are all well and good, but I'll have to buy the actual pillows and duvet there. Mum actually bought one of those puff-up pillow things - they're flat, so you can pack it, but when you take off the wrapping they plump up to an ordinary size. She also bought a duvet she thought would fit.


Neither do.


I'm just leaving it all behind.


In other news, Adnan gave me a letter that he says I have to read only when I'm on the plane. He says I will be amazed, awe-struck, angry. I'm dying to know what he wrote on the bloody thing, but I'm keeping to my promise - partially because I'll spoil the fun if I open it early. Also, I have a feeling he's over-hyped the content of it. 


Man, I'm going to miss him.


At any rate, I'm off now.


Ja.

No comments:

Post a Comment