Thursday, October 20, 2011

Birthday Bash...uh. Not.

So it was my birthday a couple of days ago - the 17th of October. It's when I finally hit 19. It's kind of weird, but at the same time, kind of not.


The weird part is that, in my head, I've never really thought of myself after 18. I mean, yeah, I know I want to get married and have kids someday. I know I want to have a well-paying job that, in conjunction with my husband, pushes us to the higher echelons of society. I know that I'd love to have a part-time job doing something I love that also makes money (yes, I am a firm believer of money being one of several keys to that locked door of happiness), outside of my main career. I know that I want to be remembered long after I'm gone, because life really is a short thing. Right now, you're breathing, aware that you're reading this. One day, you won't even know that you're dead. 


But I've never really thought about it all that much. In my head, I know what I want...I just never really pictured reaching it, you know? 18 seemed like the age to reach, when everything would be at my fingertips. Now that I'm here, past it, I feel off balance.


What's not weird is that I kind of feel, of course I'm here. Where else would I be?


So yeah. 


The birthday itself was... well, there's no other way to describe it. It was nice. It was just a nice day. Family friends came over, some for lunch, some for dinner. The food itself was mind-blowing, but it was nice. The cake wasn't amazing, but it was nice. The people weren't my friends from school or anything, since we'd decided to keep it fairly simple, but they were nice company.


So really, the only thing I can say is that my birthday was nice.


We're planning to go to Sri Lanka on the 1st of November, in time for Kake's 40th alms-giving. We'll stay there for a week, be back on the 7th, Insha Allah. I'm planning on buying one of those Sri Lankan cricket shirts, because apparently they're playing in Dubai soon and we're going for the matches. 


God, I hope they win when we're there. I went for a cricket match in Abu Dhabi, Sri Lanka against Pakistan, and it was terrible. We lost the match, but what was worse was the sportsmanship of the spectators, the majority of which were Pakistanis. For some reason, they decided to start beating up all the Sri Lankans in sight. Due to the fact that we were there as family (the majority of us were female), our folks quickly hustled us out of there before it got too rowdy. But I was not impressed. I decided right there not to sit next to any of them at any future sporting matches, if only due to fear for the safety of my person.


Anyway. I'm off.


Ja ne.

No comments:

Post a Comment